Blue Mountain Arts- Creative Writing
Updated on: by Amy Kennedy
Need Easy Extra $350+/Month For Free?
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- Branded Surveys: Complete online surveys. Collect points. Redeem your points for cash & gift cards. No hidden fees and completely free! Has so far paid its members over $18 Million. Join Branded Surveys Now
Blue Mountain Arts has been around for a while and is very popular with freelancers due to the high amount of freelance submissions they accept. Being an oldie, you can be assured that Blue Mountain Arts is a goody. They have an established reputation and pay well. Blue Mountain Arts publishes books and greeting cards and are one of the largest independent greeting card companies around.
What Does Blue Mountain Arts Publish?
Blue Mountain is always looking for poetry and prose for their greeting cards and books. They ask that the poems NOT rhyme and they do not publish one-liners. BMA suggests that you write your poem/prose with someone specific in mind. For example, a poem about your daughter graduating or a piece to your husband about being married for ten years, ect. While the company publishes mostly sentimental pieces, they want it to be new and refreshing. Do not use “over-used” sentiments. No cliche’s! Sara, an editor for Blue Mountain Arts, did an interview with WOW! where she talks more in-depth about what the company is looking for.
Do I Need Experience to Write for Blue Mountain?
Nope; Just ability. Blue Mountain loves publishing unknown authors, especially in the greeting card line. If you are a talented poet, you should have no problem.
How Much Does Blue Mountain Arts Pay?
Blue Mountain buys exclusive rights for $300 per poem. This gives them ownership of the piece to use in any product they produce. Blue Mountain may also offer one-time rights for $50 to publish your piece in a book. Details will be sent to you once your poem is accepted. Being a freelance writer in the printing world is very different from working online. There is no instant submission process and acceptance usually takes longer. This is also true for payment. I look at it this way; I may not get my payment for a couple weeks or even months, but I am getting $300. It makes the wait worth while. Most online content companies, like BrightHub or Texbroker, pay from $4 to $20.
How Do I Submit Work to Blue Mountain Arts?
Send the finished poem to: Blue Mountain Arts Editorial Department, P. O. Box 1007, Boulder, CO 80306 or email (in the body of the email) to [email protected]. Writer’s guidelines are available here. I recommend reading the guidelines carefully before submitting. Also, check out Blue Mountain’s Website a little to get a feel for the style they publish. Don’t copy/recycle the style of the authors there but use it as a springboard for your own ideas. Always proofread, spell-check…repeat as needed.
What Do Others Say About Blue Mountain Arts?
Blue Mountain Arts is known as one of the best places for a freelancer to get their feet wet in the publishing industry. This is due to the encouraging attitude of the staff as well as their fondness for newbies. Regina Hill, freelance writer at Helium, has worked for the company and has found it the perfect creative outlet since 1994.
“From personal experience, writing for Blue Mountain Arts is like a dream come true and I believe this publisher is one any writer of poetry (Especially Free Verse) , would be delighted to work with.”
Regina has been happy with her experience there and says she loves the opportunity to write things that come from her heart.
Extensive searching has found no bad reviews of writing for Blue Mountain Arts. I once submitted a poem to them during my freshman year of high school (we won’t say how long ago THAT was) and received a very polite refusal email with encouragement to try again. Needless to say, my poetry skills were a bit raw back then. While I have not published with them myself, I have heard great things from some writer friends and online co-workers about Blue Mountain Arts.
Pros and Cons of Blue Mountain Arts
Blue Mountains Art has some ups and downs. Here are the pros and cons you should expect:
- Established Reputation: Blue Mountain Arts is a well-known and respected company in the greeting card industry. Collaborating with them can give you exposure and help build your professional reputation.
- Regular Work Opportunities: Blue Mountain Arts is known for frequently seeking new content and artists to contribute to their greeting cards and e-cards. This can provide you with a consistent stream of freelance work.
- Creative Expression: If you enjoy writing poetry or creating sentimental and heartfelt messages, working with Blue Mountain Arts can allow you to express your creativity in a specific niche.
- Copyright Protection: Blue Mountain Arts is known for protecting the copyright of their contributors. They typically purchase the rights to the work they publish, which can provide you with financial compensation and protect your intellectual property.
- Competitive Selection Process: Due to Blue Mountain Arts’ reputation and popularity, there may be a significant number of freelancers vying for opportunities. This can make it challenging to get selected and stand out among the competition.
- Limited Flexibility: Blue Mountain Arts has specific guidelines and themes for their greeting cards and e-cards. This may restrict your creative freedom and require you to adhere to their preferred style and tone.
- Compensation Structure: Some freelancers have reported that the compensation offered by Blue Mountain Arts may be on the lower side compared to other writing or creative gigs. It’s important to carefully consider the financial aspects before committing to any projects.
- Exclusive Rights: When you work with Blue Mountain Arts, they typically acquire exclusive rights to the content you create. This means you may not be able to publish or use the same work elsewhere, limiting your ability to monetize it further.
Give traditional publishing a try. Seeing your name in print is a rush that you may not experience online.
- Blue Zebra Review: Work at Home as an Appointment Setter
- Get Paid by 66+ Greeting Card Companies for Your Writing or Designs
- Places to Find Inspiration for Writing
- Jumping Into The World Of Writing
- What Type of Writer Are You?
Earn Everything… nearly!
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!
Need Easy Extra Cash?
Pinecone Research, a leading name in online survey panel honesty, absolutely guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete!
Take advantage of their time limited New Membership drive and register NOW. Join today: 100% free!