Working as a freelancer for a content mill can be scrupulous. The rates are often laughable, the expectations fuzzy, the payments frequently delayed, and the credit nonexistent. Still, you have to get your foot in the door somewhere and for maybe newbie writers, content mills are just the place to make such a debut.
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Opinion Outpost: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels pays cash and gift cards for your opinion. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Opinion Outpost Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- Lifepoints: Famed MySurvey just rebranded to LifePoints. Take paid surveys anytime and anywhere via PC or Mobile App. Paid its members over $32 Million so far! Join LifePoints Now
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
For 6 years, The Content Authority has been a leading content mill, partnering with clients to fulfill their content-related needs. Writers, keep reading to learn more about The Content Authority and decide if content mill work is your next work-at-home endeavor.
What is The Content Authority?
Founded in 2009 by CEO, Shawn Manahar, The Content Authority (TCA) is a content mill that provides custom SEO content to businesses and entrepreneurs seeking to connect with customers on a deeper level and boost engagement. The work of their writers is commonly found on blogs, promotional and marketing material, and occasionally in printed documents.
What are the duties of a writer for TCA?
As a writer for TCA, you belong to a pool of writers available to create SEO content based on the needs of clients and to be used by clients online and in print. TCA writers are expected to deliver the utmost content while acknowledging the needs of the client as well as the style guidelines set out by the client and TCA. Writers are expected to respect deadlines.
What are the qualifications?
- Firm grasp of the English language
- Perform thorough, accurate research
- Abide by the guidelines set out by TCA and individual clients
- Accept feedback regarding your work from TCA and clients
- Adhere to deadlines
Is it a full- or part-time position?
Writers for TCA are not employees of the company but rather independent contractors, meaning they have the ability to work as much or as little as they’d like and as suits their current needs.
Is this an international opportunity?
Yes, international applicants are welcome.
What is the compensation?
Compensation done exclusively through PayPal so an existing account is a must to receive payment. Payments are sent every Monday, as long as you have at least $25 of income earned. If not, it will be carried over until you have reached that minimum. Also note that only approved articles are eligible for compensation; no payments are sent for rejected works.
Pay rates vary by assignment and are calculated based on the number of words requested, type of article, and quality level set out by the client. Some articles differ on their Tier, out of four possible degrees. An important point is that article tier trumps your current writer tier. Thus, even if you are a Tier 3 writer, if you complete a Tier 1 assignment, your payment will be in the Tier 1 range.
Pinecone Research, a leading name in online survey panel honesty, absolutely guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete!
Take advantage of their time limited New Membership drive and register NOW. Join today: 100% free!
Writers may apply to be designated to a higher Tier by consistently providing high quality content. Promotions of this nature depend on your skillset and the amount of work available to writers at that time, and are subject to editor discretion.
Specific payment rates are not disclosed by TCA. An article on Examiner from 2011, though, claims that Tier 1 articles are paid less than a cent a word while Tier 4 articles shell out 3 cents per word.
Is there a probationary period?
Yes. After being hired as a writer in the TCA pool, you are put on a 5 article probation. In this time, new writers are limited to producing 5 articles which must first be reviewed by their editorial team prior to writers being granted full access to work orders.
Does the position demand special equipment or software?
No, it does not. A reliable computer, quick Internet connection, and fast typing are all you need to succeed at TCA.
What do TCA workers say about the job?
A TCA worker reported her experience on HubPages and listed a number of positives. Topping the list was the fact that payments are consistently made on time, a problem frequently encountered by writers of content mills. Writers also have the freedom to choose the articles they take on and have a number of hours to complete – again, this is not a given at all content mills.
On the other hand, expectations are said to be quite high, especially considering the low payment rates. Writers may have their articles rejected, based on subjective preferences, and are subject to dismissal after three rejected works. Demotions can also be unexpected and unexplained, while assignments to higher tiers appear to be few and far between.
What is the application process like?
Fill out a simple form, asking for basic information such as name, location, and contact information. At this time, you are also required to submit a unique sample of writing, with a minimum of 150 words, on a topic of their choosing.
- The Content Authority – Freelance Writing
- Writer Beware: Is Domainite.com a Scam or Just Another Content Mill?
- Why New Freelance Writers Should Use Content Mills
- WriterAccess: One of the Better Content Mill Gigs
- Writing for Constant Content
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!