Can I Write Off My Internet Expense on Taxes?
Updated on: by Miranda Grimm
Need Easy Extra $350+/Month For Free?
- Opinion Outpost: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels pays cash and gift cards for your opinion. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Opinion Outpost Now
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- Lifepoints: Famed MySurvey just rebranded to LifePoints. Take paid surveys anytime and anywhere via PC or Mobile App. Paid its members over $32 Million so far! Join LifePoints Now
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now Free $5
- Ipsos iSay: Every time you complete a survey, you'll earn points that you can redeem for cash and other great prizes. Join Ipsos iSay Now
If you work online then it is obvious you have an expense of the internet! Now, you possibly would have already had that expense because you already use it for personal reasons. So can you write off your Internet Expense on Taxes? Let’s discuss this subject and learn if you qualify for your internet expense to be a tax deduction and how much it could save you!
I started this Tax Series months ago, trying to prepare us all for the what is now closely approaching!- The beginning of Tax Season! If you are an early filer, then now is a better time than ever to review over those posts!
We previously talked about writing off our Home Office Space and in that post we learned the IRS is very particular about being sure we use the space for our work and NOT for personal use. So what about the internet we use to work but also use to chat on Facebook, shop and play Farmville with?
You will be glad to know the internet is a legit tax deduction for us Self-Employed Work at Homers. But as with all things dealing with the IRS it is not a simple deduction. Because you most likely use your internet for personal reasons as well, you can only write off a percentage of your internet cost.
How do you know how much of your Internet Expense is Tax Deductible?
I was not sure either so I contacted a tax guru and self- employed friend of mine, Chrystal Mahan. Chrystal explained to me the percentage of your internet deduction is based on the percentage of use for business.
So, that sounds easy for someone who has set hours and has an idea of how much time they spend online. If they work 7 hours a day but they are online for a total of 9 hours a day, then that is a pretty simple math equation of 78%.
But someone like me who goes from working to playing constantly throughout the day (stopping in chat in Facebook, work, read the news, work, check the weather…etc) Plus let’s not forget the hours the internet is streaming Netflix or other things pulling on my WiFi connection. I truly had no clue how much of my time online is for personal or business use. None at all.
So I spent some time figuring up numbers in my head and really thinking about the time spent using the internet. All of my figured were estimates and from what I understand, that is all the IRS can expect anyhow.
So, don’t get uptight, like I was, and think you have to log all your time spent personal versus business 365 days a year. Give a solid estimate of the percentage used for your self employment work. That same percentage will be used against your internet expense and that is the number you can write off as an expense.
Keep a solid record of your internet expense. If you receive electronic bills, either print them off and store them or save them on your hard drive. You cannot write anything off that you cannot back up with receipts or proof of payment.
Are you missing a bill?
A lot of times your internet provider keeps a record online. You also may have record in your checking account statement showing where you paid them each month.
Need Easy Extra Cash?
Pinecone Research, a leading name in online survey panel honesty, absolutely guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete!
Take advantage of their time limited New Membership drive and register NOW. Join today: 100% free!
There are many things you can write off as a self employment deduction. The government gives you this benefit that can really make working for yourself worth it. But if you take advantage of this benefit and cheat the system it will most likely hurt you. So, be honest and keep records of your expenses and income to cover yourself!
Follow Work at Home Adventure future posts to catch-all of the Self Employment Tax Help and other Work at Home related posts:
- 3 Internet Jobs You Can Do in The RV
- My 10 Favorite Resources on My Work-at-Home Journey
- What To Do When You Have No Internet Access
- Where Can I Change My Coins for Cash for Free Near Me?
- Can I Get Paid to Be an Audience Member of My Favorite TV Shows?
Earn Everything… nearly!
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!