In your search for work from home jobs, you’ll likely come across websites that pay you to test other websites.
- Lifepoints: Famed MySurvey just rebranded to LifePoints. Take paid surveys anytime and anywhere via PC or Mobile App. Paid its members over $32 Million so far! Join LifePoints Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Pinecone Research: A leading name in online panels guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete! No hidden fees and completely free! Join Pinecone Research Now
- Opinion Outpost: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels pays cash and gift cards for your opinion. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Opinion Outpost Now
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
UserTesting is one such website that gets talked about a lot.
But, is it any good, and will it really make you money?
I sourced information from UserTesting itself, as well as reviews from real people who have actually used the website and made money.
Let’s jump into this review and find out how easy it can be to make money by providing honest feedback!
How It Works
UserTesting works in much the same way as other website testing jobs.
Basically, you’ll visit websites and, using your computer’s microphone and a video capturing software, provide feedback as you visit the website.
Most “tests” will have specific instructions for a website.
For example, for an online store, you may be asked to navigate the shopping categories, find specific items, and put them into your shopping cart.
As you complete each step, you’ll continue to speak into your microphone, providing details on your opinions of the website aesthetics, function, and any other specific information your test asks for.
If there’s anything that you find particularly confusing about the website, say it. If you think it’s extremely easy to use, explain why.
The tests are made for you to be completely honest, as your feedback helps improve the website.
The point is to make your feedback as helpful to the website owner as possible.
After all, he or she is paying for your test to find out what needs to be improved or what really works.
What Equipment Do You Need For Testing Jobs?
To take UserTesting tests, you’ll need to make sure your computer is working properly and is reliable.
It needs to be connected to the internet as well, preferably with a high-speed internet connection.
Pinecone Research, a leading name in online survey panel honesty, absolutely guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete!
Take advantage of their time limited New Membership drive and register NOW. Join today: 100% free!
You can also take some tests using your mobile phone.
They work on the latest versions of both iOS and Android operating systems, but you’ll need at least 400mb of free space to download the app.
To get started with tests, you will also need a microphone, if your computer doesn’t have one built in.
You can find several inexpensive microphones, like this one.
Once you apply and get approved, UserTesting will explain how to download its screen recording software.
It’s free, and it’s what records everything you do on your screen as you take the test.
How Much Does UserTesting Pay?
UserTesting tests are generally about 20 minutes long and pay $10 each.
So, if you had enough open testing opportunities, you could potentially make $30 per hour.
With that being said, sometimes tests can be few and far between.
Although new ones are posted daily, they can get snatched up quickly.
Still, $10 for 20 minutes of your time isn’t bad at all. Just be aware, though, that if a client does not approve of your work, you won’t get paid at all for the test.
It’s important to remember to be very thorough in your feedback.
Also, make sure you complete each piece of your instructions precisely to get paid.
Once your work has been approved, your payment will be made to your PayPal account seven days later.
Is It Easy To Get Work?
Once you’re approved as a tester, you’ll get e-mails whenever UserTesting has a new test for you.
However, the number of tests you receive depends on your demographic, since clients usually look for a specific type of person to target (based on age, gender, family size, etc.).
Most tester reviews report that UserTesting won’t make you a steady income, and should be used as a source for extra pay.
In other words, they typically don’t get consistent offers for new tests.
Once you get an invite to a test, try to accept it as soon as possible, since they can go quickly.
What Are The Requirements For UserTesting?
To be eligible to take tests with UserTesting, you must have the required equipment: microphone, screen recorder, and meet the minimum PC or Mac requirements.
UserTesting also requires its test-takes to continue to take successful tests that meet all the requirements of the client.
If you continually fail to follow instructions or provide in-depth feedback, your account may be deactivated.
As for applying, here are a few requirements you need to know:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must reside in a country that uses PayPal. To find out if your country accepts PayPal, visit this page.
- Members from the UK, Canada, Germany, and Australia are currently in high demand!
- You must complete a sample test before getting approved. It will require you to complete a short test, much like one you’ll receive once you’re an approved tester.
Is User Testing Legit?
If you’ve done your own research on UserTesting, you’ve probably come across “User Testing Scam” somewhere in your results.
If so, the term may be coming from people who weren’t paid due to not meeting requirements.
But, that definitely doesn’t mean it is a scam. In fact, from my research, it’s clear that UserTesting does, indeed, pay its testers, as long as they’re fulfilling the requirements of the test.
You also don’t have to waste time completing a test, only to find out you weren’t what the client was looking for.
Most tests require you to complete a quick screener before starting, just to make sure you’re a good fit.
The customer support team is readily available by phone through the week, should testers have any questions or concerns.
Join Opinion Outpost, one of the few faithful and honest survey panels and earn cash and gift cards for your opinion. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!
And, it’s free. Most scams require to you pay money to “get paid”.
No such thing with UserTesting.
It’s completely free to join and you’ll never have to pay for anything, besides your microphone to get started.
How to be Successful as a Website Usability Tester
Many people make a solid extra income as website usability testers for companies like UserTesting.
Here are a few tips I have gathered over the years from my own experience.
1. Sign up for multiple companies. Because these are demographic based, you cannot rely on knowing how many tests you can complete a month. To make the most of your chances, sign up for several website usability companies.
2. Don’t hesitate when a test opens up to you. If you are able to go straight to your computer and do the test- accept it right away. If you wait, there is a good chance the opening will be filled by other testers.
3. Finally, don’t over-think the testing process. When applying for usability positions there is a chance you could fail the test and ruin any chance of making extra income testing websites. Be casual and speak what you are thinking. They are looking for your first thoughts and reactions- not a thought out and complicated set of feedback. Also, be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before beginning the test to ensure you know exactly what they are expecting you to do.
How To Apply?
It’s easy to apply to UserTesting.
You will complete a quick form on the website with your basic information.
Once your form is submitted, you’ll be invited to take the sample test.
You’ll first read a quick guide that explains what you need to do, so you’re not just thrown into it. Make sure you complete each required task, and then submit the test.
If UserTesting approves your sample test and sees you as a good fit, you’re in!
It will begin sending you e-mails with available tests.
- Userlytics – User Testing
- Best 11 Websites That Pay You Cash to Test Mobile Apps
- Top 5 Sites to Test Typing Speed
- ETS – Work at Home Test Scoring
- Uxline- Test a Website and Earn Ten Bucks
Easy Extra Cash! Join the famed Nielsen Computer and Mobile Panel site, install the app and earn rewards just for using the Internet as you do today! Nielsen gives away $10,000 each month.
Guaranteed 100% free membership.