Earn an Extra $240 a Month Captioning Videos for Rev
Updated on: by Amy Kennedy
Rev is a freelance closed captioning business that pays remote workers to write captions for videos. No experience is necessary, and those that work for them say the videos are usually interesting, sometimes educational, and can even be fun.
Need Easy Extra $350+/Month For Free?
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- Branded Surveys: Complete online surveys. Collect points. Redeem your points for cash & gift cards. No hidden fees and completely free! Has so far paid its members over $18 Million. Join Branded Surveys Now
How Much Does Rev Pay?
The pay is not huge, but it isn’t bad either considering there is no previous experience required. Generally projects pay between $.50 to $.75 per video minute. If you know anything about transcription you know that an audio minute is different than and actual minute, and the same is true of a video minute. My understanding is that if a video is 20 minutes long, you are paid per minute for 20 minutes, not how long it actually takes you to write the captions. It could take you a good deal longer than the actual video time if you need to rewind to hear something again, and it takes additional time to make certain that the video and captioning sync up. According to their website the average earnings per month is $240, with the top earning being $1,570.
Is it Flexible?
You can work as much or as little as you want. You choose the projects you want to work on using a job board type set up.
Do I need Special Equipment?
You need a computer, headset, broadband internet, and strong English skills.
What is the Application Process Like?
The first part is quick and painless. You start with a grammar test that asks multiple choice questions about word choice and other common grammar mistakes. It took me less than 5 minutes. The next part is to write @ least 50 words, and the topic I was given was my home town. I do not know if that is the topic everyone is given. Lastly you are given a closed captioning test with a 12 minute video. I did not take this part, but it really beneficial to both parties, as you are given the opportunity to see what the work is all about, and they can see if you are going to be able to pick it up fairly easily.
What Is the Chatter?
The chatter about Rev in the work-at-home world is basically that there is plenty of work, they pay on time, but the pay is low.
Pros and Cons of Working for Rev
- Flexibility: As a freelancer for Rev, you have the flexibility to choose when and how much you work. You can select projects based on your availability and preferences, allowing you to create a schedule that suits your needs.
- Remote Work: Rev offers remote freelance opportunities, allowing you to work from the comfort of your own home or any location with internet access. This eliminates the need for commuting and offers the convenience of working in a familiar environment.
- Variety of Projects: Rev provides a variety of transcription, translation, and captioning projects. This can offer diversity in the content you work on, which can be intellectually stimulating and allow you to expand your knowledge in different subject areas.
- Skill Development: Working on transcription and translation projects with Rev can enhance your language skills, typing speed, and attention to detail. This can be valuable for individuals looking to improve their linguistic abilities or pursue a career in language-related fields.
- Potential Earnings: Rev offers compensation for completed projects, and depending on your speed and efficiency, you may have the opportunity to earn a competitive income. The more projects you complete, the higher your earning potential.
- Variable Work Availability: The availability of projects on Rev can vary. There may be times when there are fewer projects available, which can impact your ability to secure consistent work and earnings.
- Strict Deadlines: Rev typically imposes strict deadlines for project submissions. This can lead to pressure and may require you to manage your time effectively to ensure timely completion of assignments.
- Pay Rates: Some freelancers may find the pay rates offered by Rev to be lower than their expectations or the industry average. It’s important to assess whether the compensation aligns with your financial goals and expectations.
- Quality Expectations: Rev has quality standards that freelancers must meet, including accuracy and formatting guidelines. These standards may require additional effort and attention to detail to ensure your work meets the company’s requirements.
- Independence and Isolation: As a freelancer, you may work independently and may not have regular face-to-face interaction with colleagues. This can result in a sense of isolation for individuals who thrive in more social or collaborative work environments.
It seems that Rev is a legitimate work from home company. They offer the opportunity to work from home, on your own schedule, and they pay on time. It does seem that the pay may be on the lower end of what some companies pay for the same type of work, but you do not have to have previous experience if you can pass the tests with Rev. That being the case, this may not be the best company to consider as a sole source of income, but rather as an egg to add to others in your basket. It could also be a great way to earn some extra cash while watching fun, interesting, and educational videos. It addition, the work could be an open door to learning a skill and gaining experience that will help you in the future if you decide to apply to a company that pays more for the same work.
How To Get Started Earning Money with Rev
Learn more and apply for the closed captioning work at Rev by visiting their site and starting the application process.
Rev also offers transcription work for beginner typists interested in making extra money.
- Top 28 Ways to Make an Extra 1000 Dollars in a Month (It’s Legit!)
- Become a Transcriptionist with Rev
- 66 Easy, Quick Ways to Earn Extra Pocket Money Every Month
- How to Earn an Extra $50 in Cash Today: Top 8 Ways
- These 33+ Companies Provide Closed Captioning Jobs From Home
Earn Everything… nearly!
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!