When you are unemployed, your primary focus may be on finding a new job that fully replaces the one you have lost.
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Toluna Opinions: Earn $1-$5 each time you qualify and take surveys. Test products for free and share your opinions! Join Toluna Opinions Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- PanelPayDay: $1 to $25 to take online surveys, $30 to $100 for Participating in a Focus Group. Join PanelPayDay Now
However, in some cases, it may be weeks or even months between the time you lost your job and the time you receive a paycheck from a new job.
You may have received severance from your last position, and you may receive some unemployment benefits, but this may not be enough to fully replace all of your lost wages.
With this in mind, you may need to find a way to supplement your income so that you can make ends meet.
The good news is that there are a few options available to help you replace the income that you have lost until you find a new job.
One gig that’s usually easy to get is seasonal work in retail, such as at a clothing, general merchandise, landscaping, or hardware store.
Seasonal work is most closely associated with the holiday season in November and December, but you can also find work as a lifeguard or a summer camp worker.
You might want to consider online work, which may include everything from transcription to phone tech support, in part-time, full-time, and temporary positions as well as one-time project work.
You can find jobs through a number of websites with ease, and the work for these positions often starts immediately. Check out our virtual based job board to see what companies are currently looking to fill online based positions.
Driving is now an increasingly popular second job that is available through different companies. With these positions, you simply need a late-model car and free time in your day to drive other people around.
You can make a considerable amount of money driving if you live in a moderately well-populated area or are willing to drive into a populated area to work.
Mystery shopping can be rather lucrative if you are willing to put in full-time hours.
Market research companies, watchdog groups, and other organizations hire mystery shoppers to assess a company’s products, services, or regulatory compliance.
Some people combine mystery shopping with other types of work to more fully supplement their income. You can find mystery shopping assignments through companies affiliated with the Mystery Shopping Providers Association and by checking out our reviews.
Sudden unemployment can be a devastating setback, but there are ways to make money while you are in between jobs.
Some of these ideas are great second jobs as well, and you can continue in them even after you have found a new position.
- Confero Inc- Mystery Shopping
- TeleXpertise- Work at Home Positions
- Mystery Shopping with Market Force
- The Truth About Mystery Shopping
- Demand Media – Flexible Non Phone Work
VIPKID is currently looking for online teachers to teach young students in China via video-conferencing. Teachers will earn on average between $14-$22 usd per hour. This opportunity is ideal for teachers looking to supplement their income.
- One (1) school year of traditional teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada