Homeschooling While You Work from Home: What You Really Need to Know
Updated on: by FStewart
Working from home means something different for different people. For some it is great to not have to get dressed and spend an hour in the commute both ways. For some it is getting to stay home with the kids, and for others it is freedom to live their life the way they want.
Need Easy Extra $350+/Month For Free?
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- Branded Surveys: Complete online surveys. Collect points. Redeem your points for cash & gift cards. No hidden fees and completely free! Has so far paid its members over $18 Million. Join Branded Surveys Now
I began working from home in an effort to stay home and take care of a child with special medical needs. However, as our family grew older and we saw other issues arising, it was a huge blessing to get to stay home and work so that I could homeschool our children.
It Might Be Easier
Just like working from home is not for everyone, and homeschooling is not for everyone, working from home and homeschooling at the same time is definitely not for everyone. Neither one is easy, and not everyone even wants to do it.
For our family however, it actually has been easier to work from home since we started homeschooling. The reason boils down to one word, flexibility.
I can work in the mornings and let the kids sleep as long as they will. I do not have to stop working to get them up and ready to be on the bus or get in the car to head to school. I also do not have to stop working to go pick them up or get them off the bus.
It Will Not Look the Same for Everyone
Flexibility is a key word to remember. For homeschooling to work while working from home, there has to be a high level of flexibility.
I am a freelancer, so I am able to set my own hours. Also, the homeschool laws in our state require 4 hours per day of instruction, but there are no set hours. This means I set my work schedule and our schooling schedule as I see fit.
You may choose to work in the morning and school in the afternoon. You may choose to work before the kids get up and after they go to sleep, keeping the bulk of the day open for schooling and other activities. Keep in mind however, that you will have to keep any set hours required by your job if there are any.
FOMO Is Real
FOMO, or Fear of Missing Out, is a very real thing. It is likely you will suffer from this because honestly, depending on where you live, you may have more opportunities to do things once you are not bound to the public school schedule.
You will see all of your non-working homeschool friends doing all kinds of things, and you will not be able to do it all because you have to work. If possible, plan ahead and try to do at least one field trip or other activity per month to keep FOMO at bay.
Finally, though working while homeschooling is not ideal, it is great to be able to work from home and get it done. It is possible also, to homeschool and work outside of the home. I just wanted to put that out there because I have a few friends that do it.
They work that late shift, work weekends, or work it out some other way in order to educate their kids the way they feel led. Remember, where there is a will there is a way!
- Homeschooling While Working From Home
- What to Wear When You Work at Home
- Working from Home: 5 Reasons it is Different than You Thought it Would Be
- How Many Hours Do You Work from Home?
- Are You an Overachiever or an Underachiever in Your Work-at-Home Life?
Earn Everything… nearly!
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!
Need Easy Extra Cash?
Pinecone Research, a leading name in online survey panel honesty, absolutely guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete!
Take advantage of their time limited New Membership drive and register NOW. Join today: 100% free!