How to Begin a Graphic Designing Career
Updated on: by Miranda Grimm
As many of you who follow closely know, I had lost my job with a company called Demand Media. The pay was excellent and the flexibility was exactly what I needed. As you can see in the popular post I wrote just hours after finding out I was given the boot and lost my $30/an hour job that I finally came around and began to see things in a positive light. If I had not lost my job at Demand Media, I never would have chosen to go ahead and pursue my passion- web design.
Need Easy Extra $350+/Month For Free?
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now Free $5
- Branded Surveys: Complete online surveys. Collect points. Redeem your points for cash & gift cards. No hidden fees and completely free! Has so far paid its members over $18 Million. Join Branded Surveys Now
- Ipsos iSay: Every time you complete a survey, you'll earn points that you can redeem for cash and other great prizes. Join Ipsos iSay Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
I can proudly say I did follow through with it and I am now working actively helping people with their logos, creating graphics and setting up their blogs. I am also helping others maintain their blogs when they run into issues. I am happier than ever! I sometimes feel like I am not allowed to charge for the work I do because its not really work to me, it’s play time! I love my job!
However, it has not been easy, I did not have ANY experience aside from doing things on my own blogs. I had no education in the field of web or graphic design.
I did have a really cool computer software program. But I had no clue how to use it. There are books heavier than my 2 year old on how to get started with the program. Anyone getting a certificate or degree in graphic design will spend a lot of money taking multiple classes just to learn the software program I had. I did not have that benefit, but I have made it work.
My goal is that by the time my two young girls, Sara (5) and Olivia (2) are in elementary school, I can turn this part-time passion of mine into a full-time career that I can depend on for a regular income. Wish me luck!
Want to know how I made it work? In fact, anyone who is interested in this type of work or even as a hobby should read the guest post I wrote over at Nerd-Jobs.com. I explain step by step the process it takes to break into the field of graphic design without any experience, education or expensive software.
Check out the post- 5 Steps to Becoming a Logo Designer with No Experience- by clicking on the fancy button I made>> 🙂 I just wanted an excuse to use the button!
- 5 Places to Get Started as a Graphic Design Artist
- How to Know if You’re Qualified to Work from Home for a Certain Company
- How My WAH Job Turned into an Unexpected Career
- Q/A: How to Market My Virtual Assistant Business
- 7 Steps to a Freelance Career
Earn Everything… nearly!
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!