Howtohint.com appears to be a fairly standard online writing content mill, but with positions available for editing, title editing, and title creation in addition to writing similar to Demand Media. You can apparently hold more than one of these positions and work them at will. Seems many people are talking about Howtohint.com and many have reported a comparison to Demand Media. So is this a new titling and writing replacement company? Faith Stewart, the new writer at WAHadventures took a look at the company and some of the talk going around the web. Take a look at what she has found and what she feels about the Howtohint.com titling and writing roles:
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- EarningStation: The highest paying site out there, where users get paid to Take Surveys, Watch Videos, Play Games, and Shop Online. Join EarningStation Now
- Toluna Opinions: Earn $1-$5 each time you qualify and take surveys. Test products for free and share your opinions! Join Toluna Opinions Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- Opinion Outpost: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels pays cash and gift cards for your opinion. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Opinion Outpost Now
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Vindale: Review products and take simple online surveys. Make up to $50 per survey completed. Over $6,955,991+ paid. Join Vindale Research Now
I went ahead and applied to see how the whole process played out. It was the standard contact form that also required a resume along with a writing sample. I had to check which positions I was interested in and which topics I would like to write about. I chose several topics and all of the positions just to see what happened.
I did not hear back from them and assumed I did not make the cut for the job.
So, I did some digging around on a couple of different work-at-home forums.
It seems they pay every Friday.
However, at one point last January, several people struggled to be paid. In the end, they all did get paid on the following Monday. It seemed a few people that e-mailed and asked about the delay in pay were told there had been some problems with plagiarism and Howtohint.com was trying to clear it up.
Unfortunately, when Howtohint.com responded during an online forum discussion about the writers who were not paid on time, the company itself posted a very snippy and unprofessional responding comment.
The one saving grace I see is that the people running Howtohint.com are from a foreign country. It is very possible they did not mean to come off so snippy. If giving the benefit of the doubt, I would say the language barrier is behind some of the poor grammar on their website as well.
According to another post from the company on a public forum, they do indeed pay on Fridays. I did not see that mentioned on their site anywhere but I could have missed it.
I did find the pay scale in a job posting and on the site. The pay scale is low and it has dropped significantly in the past several months.
Apparently last summer they were paying $10 for a 500 word article. Now they are paying $3 for the same word count.
Editors make $.50 per piece, and the title jobs pay $.02 per title.
There are guidelines posted for each position on the website that seem reasonable at first glance, but others seem to be having trouble with them and also having trouble getting clarification from Howtohint.com.
Join e-Poll, one of the few faithful and honest survey panels and earn cash - paid via PayPal - gift cards for Amazon, Best Buy, iTunes, Starbucks, and Walmart, plus Retail e-vouchers.
The surveys are aimed at entertainment-related research, covering such things as personal TV watching habits, give feedback on new TV commercials or to review DVDs that are sent to your home.
For USA residents aged 13+. No hidden fees and completely free!
After reading in a forum post that someone else, who also did not hear back after their application submission, had logged into their account and found they had been hired, I decided to try as well.
I logged into Howtohint.com and realized I too had permissions as a writer and a title creator.
After glancing through the job boards, it does appear that there are several opportunities and nothing looks too difficult, which is good considering the pay scale.
All articles are to be written in a how-to format with no less than 500 words. If you choose articles with little research, it could be okay.
It appears that howtohint.com is indeed legit, if maybe a little shaky. Multiple positions, weekly pay, and easy topics are great pros. Cons such as low pay, uncertain support from the company, and pay being late at least once are scary however. My personal decision has been to consider them an egg that may be worth keeping warm, proceed with caution and by no means consider them a steady source of income.
I will use it to fill dead time simply because you really cannot beat weekly pay schedules and from all accounts they do pay, just not always on time.
If you are interested in checking out Howtohint.com visit their site to learn more and apply
- 76 Best Online Jobs for Teens Under 18. Legit & Free.
- The 33 Best Legit Mystery Shopping Companies To Work Remotely
- 20 Best Legit Jobs for Introverts – Make Money the Introverted Way!
- UserTesting Review: Legit Company That Pays $10 Per Test
- Is USAContactPoint a Legit Virtual Call Center?
Join Surveyo 24 #1 paid survey site. It's easy - complete a survey and receive payment. No hidden fees and completely free!