Written By Long-Time Follower: Erica Martin
- Lifepoints: Famed MySurvey just rebranded to LifePoints. Take paid surveys anytime and anywhere via PC or Mobile App. Paid its members over $32 Million so far! Join LifePoints Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- Opinion Outpost: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels pays cash and gift cards for your opinion. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Opinion Outpost Now
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Pinecone Research: A leading name in online panels guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete! No hidden fees and completely free! Join Pinecone Research Now
- OpinionCity: The internet’s Best Paid Surveys are here. Make up to $100 per survey completed. Join OpinionCity Now
Aside from my regular job with Apptical, I also work a few other jobs to bring in a little extra money. One thing I do is Duplicate checking with Demand Media… but as those of you who do duplicate checking know, the work became rather scarce for a while earlier this month. Luckily, I was able to test with and get approved to do general transcription work with Scribie.com.
What is Scribie?
Scribie is a website where people submit interviews that they want transcribed. Those interviews are then broken up into smaller files which are usually about 6 minutes each, though some are shorter if there is less than six minutes left at the end of an interview.
Do you have to have transcription experience to work for Scribie?
No, that is one of the nice things about Scribie. The only skills you need are fast typing speed and good listening skills.
How much does Scribie pay?
Scribie pays about $1 per each 6 minute file, or a little less if the file is less than six minutes. This adds up to about $10 per audio hour.
How much can I make per hour?
The amount you can make per hour varies depending on your typing speed. If you’re able to type quickly and transcribe the audio without having to stop and back up a lot, then you could easily make about $10 per hour. I’ve been making a little less, because I tend to stop a lot while I’m transcribing, and I also like to listen to the file all the way through after I’ve transcribed it, to see if I can catch anything I might have missed.
How does Scribie pay?
Pinecone Research, a leading name in online survey panel honesty, absolutely guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete!
Take advantage of their time limited New Membership drive and register NOW. Join today: 100% free!
Scribie pays via PayPal. You can cash out whenever you want. However, Scribie does charge a 2% fee for amounts under $30.
What kind of software and/or equipment will I need?
You’ll want to download Expresscribe, and I highly recommend a foot pedal and a USB headset for listening to the audio. You can set up keys on your keyboard to play and pause audio, as well as back up, but I find that using a foot pedal is faster.
How much will all this equipment and software cost me?
Expresscribe is free, however a good foot pedal will cost anywhere from $30 on up. Headsets usually cost anywhere from $25 on up. Keep in mind that the headset you use doesn’t have to necessarily be a headset made specifically for transcription – I use the USB headset that I used to use for one of my phone jobs and it works just fine. Also remember that since Scribie doesn’t take any taxes out, anything you have to purchase to work for Scribie is tax-deductible, so be sure to save your receipts!
Are the files at Scribie easy to understand?
File sound quality varies. Also, Scribie transcribes a lot of interviews with people who speak with foreign accents, which can often be hard to understand. The nice thing about Scribie is that you aren’t assigned certain files – you can go listen to a one-minute sample of a file before you select it. If you find that you’re able to understand it easily, you can select it and transcribe it. If after you select it you find that the rest of the file isn’t as easy to understand as you thought it would be, you can return it and look for another file to transcribe.
Does Scribie have any other opportunities?
Yes, if your transcriptions are consistently rated “good” or “excellent,” you’ll be promoted to reviewer, where you’ll be able to review transcriptions that others have done, insert time-stamps where needed, and make any changes you feel are necessary. Having Expresscribe is even more important with reviewing, because you’ll be given instructions on how to set up one of the keys on your keyboard as a hotkey for inserting the timestamps in the transcript. I’ve recently been promoted to reviewer, and though I’m getting better at reviewing, I still enjoy transcribing more.
How do I sign up to transcribe for Scribie?
Editors Note: Scribie recently went by the name of CallGraph. Therefore, if you do any online research before applying you should keep this in mind as to not get confused.
Erica Martin has been working at home for different companies since 2003. You can find more about her experience by viewing her online articles at Yahoo!
- Scribie Revisited: My Experience With Scribie’s New Website Features
- 38 Best General Transcription Jobs from Home, No Experience Required
- 108 No Experience Needed, Entry Level Work from Home Jobs
- QuickTate / iDictate No Experience Needed
- Top 14 Ways to Earn Money Posting on Forums, No Experience Necessary
Easy Extra Cash! Join the famed Nielsen Computer and Mobile Panel site, install the app and earn rewards just for using the Internet as you do today! Nielsen gives away $10,000 each month.
Guaranteed 100% free membership.