By: Deborah Knight
- Lifepoints: Famed MySurvey just rebranded to LifePoints. Take paid surveys anytime and anywhere via PC or Mobile App. Paid its members over $32 Million so far! Join LifePoints Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Pinecone Research: A leading name in online panels guarantees $3 cash for every survey you complete! No hidden fees and completely free! Join Pinecone Research Now
- Opinion Outpost: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels pays cash and gift cards for your opinion. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Opinion Outpost Now
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
Being a Work At Home Mom (aka WAHM) is the ideal situation for those of us who need to make money but also want to raise our children and not pay someone else to do it. Unfortunately in some states, such as Massachusetts where I live, it’s not always easy to find that perfect job that will pay a good enough wage that we can make ends meet. Sometimes we can do multiple small jobs and make it work, but not always. There are many companies that simply will not contract workers in Massachusetts because our law regarding independent contractors (IC) vs. employees is a very fine line to walk. Our government requires additional tests beyond the federal level. I understand that it is there to protect those who are wrongfully classified as IC but it’s still frustrating none the less. So what do we do when we run into the situation where I am, where income is not what it simply needs to be?- We pray for the next best thing.
You might ask what is the next best thing? How could anything possibly be even close to being a WAHM? Simple, find something that will work around your schedule enough that you are still home with your children when they are home. I’m talking about finding a job working within the schedule of the schools in your area. That is what I have recently looked into briefly and have actually gone to an interview to be a teacher’s assistant at a local preschool. If I get the job, I would work the school calendar. On school half days, I would work a half day. School Vacations…I get those off too. Summer, yep that’s mine to spend with my child as well. Five paid sick days just incase my son is sick and in the event of a snow day, I get that off too. This particular preschool is in the next town over (but still only a Five minute drive from my house) and in the event that we have a snowday but they don’t, my son can come to work with me.
Now along the same lines, years ago when my son was little, before I discovered the WAHM world, I found that quite often places like Gymboree and the local gym where moms work out needed babysitters to work and help out other parents. I took a job working in the babysitting room of the local Gymboree until my son was too old to go anymore. The best part was that he was allowed to come to work with me. Again, it’s the next best thing. I received free Gymboree classes for my son and a paycheck every week, and I never had to leave my child in the hands of another.
So if you find that you are stuck and you can’t find someone who will contract with an IC in your state then consider looking into the next best thing. Most local gyms have a babysitting area where moms can leave their children while they work out, there are often places like Gymboree or My Gym that have a babysitting room so that mom can play with just one child at a time in age divided classes. These places will often hire a mom to work and allow you to bring your child with you. You can also look into the teaching assistant positions where you do not need to be a certified teacher to hold the position.If you truly are stuck for cash and you have bills that can not be paid on what you are making as a WAHM, this might be a very good option for you too.
Wish me luck on my interview, I’ll know by Today if I have the job. If not, I’ll keep looking at home for more WAHM opportunities and for the next best thing.
- Working at Home- It’s a Fine Line to Balance
- The Top Five Reasons Why Working from Home is a Real Job
- Get Paid To Do the Laundry? Yep, It’s a Thing!
- Understanding Virtual Assisting – Part 8 – Exploring the Myths of Working at Home
- When the Stress of Working at Home is Too Much
Easy Extra Cash! Join the famed Nielsen Computer and Mobile Panel site, install the app and earn rewards just for using the Internet as you do today! Nielsen gives away $10,000 each month.
Guaranteed 100% free membership.