Updated Review of Virtual Jobs at oDesk 
Updated on: by Jess Weaver
My o my, how oDesk has really changed over the years. It’s a lot different now than when I first started with it almost four years ago.
Need Easy Extra $350+/Month For Free?
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- Branded Surveys: Complete online surveys. Collect points. Redeem your points for cash & gift cards. No hidden fees and completely free! Has so far paid its members over $18 Million. Join Branded Surveys Now
What’s different about oDesk now?
I have to admit that oDesk looks so much clearer now. Before it was sort of messy and the interface wasn’t as clean. Now you can log on and know exactly what you want to do and where you want to go.
How do you apply for jobs?
Well, first you need to go through and make sure your profile is filled out. You’ll need to add a photo, work history, education history, skills, and more. You’ll also need to have a valid address, and also fill in your tax information. Don’t forget to set an hourly rate and edit your availability. The new oDesk profile also lets you connect to all of your social media accounts. Once your profile is at least at 90% you can really start applying for new jobs. It is quite the process.
Do you actually find jobs at oDesk?
The job I’ve been with for almost three years is one I found on oDesk. I really think I got lucky because a lot of the requests I get to apply for jobs are either junk mail or they don’t want to pay what I’m asking.
When you want to find work, you simply hit the find work button on the oDesk site and start searching. I have to admit that it’s nice that oDesk gives so many categories to choose from, when it comes to looking for jobs. When an “employer” wants you to apply for their job, they can invite you and you’ll be able to apply. From there you can approve or decline the interview requests.
How fast can I get hired?
I’ve been hired both slowly and quickly through oDesk before. It really depends on how fast the individual clients move and wants to get the workflow moving. I’d caution on being really careful when accepting jobs because you don’t always know what you’re getting into.
Is oDesk customer service helpful?
Whenever I’ve ever had an issue, oDesk’s customer service has been incredibly helpful. They’ve always resolved issues quickly and never hesitated to answer an email or a chat question. I don’t know what it’s like from a hiring standpoint, only from a freelancer POV.
How do you get paid with oDesk?
Payments are made weekly through a secure platform of your choice. Payment options include Direct Deposit, Wire Transfer, PayPal, and similar brands. You can read more on the payment options on the oDesk site.
Apparently, oDesk and Elance have merged but this hasn’t affected me at all. I’d love to hear of your experiences over the years and if you find today’s version easy or difficult.
- Finding Freelance Work at oDesk
- oDesk Follow-up
- Review of Work at Home Jobs with TextMaster
- Review of the Kinzer Projects
Earn Everything… nearly!
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!
Click here to post a comment...