When your internet service goes down:
- If you do phone work from home, your company should have some kind of procedure in place for dealing with emergencies like power outages or no internet access – follow their procedures so you don’t get in trouble for not showing up to work, or for leaving early if you lose your internet during your shift.
- Call your internet service provider – the customer service representative should be able to tell you if there is an outage in your area. If there isn’t, the representative will probably take you through the steps for rebooting your modem. If your internet service doesn’t come back up after you reboot your modem, then the representative will probably have you schedule an appointment for a technician to come out, hopefully the next day.
If you have to have a technician come out –
what to do about your work:
- Keep your supervisor up to date on the situation. If you do phone work and have shifts scheduled, see if you can get someone to cover your shifts.
- If you’re a freelance writer or you’re working on some other project and the deadline is getting close, see if you can work somewhere else that has an internet connection, such as the library or an internet cafe. Or, if you don’t need an internet connection to do your writing, or your article isn’t due right away, you can work on the article offline and then submit it once you’re back online – most of this blog post was written offline while my internet service was down. If that’s not possible, you may be able to enlist other friends to help you. As a last resort, contact your client and let them know your situation.
Notes from Miranda
I have had some experience with my internet going out as well. I would love to share how I handled those situations:
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- YouGov: A leading name in online panels: Join now and earn $50 cash or vouchers for completing surveys! No hidden fees and completely free! Join YouGov Now
- Opinion Outpost: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels pays cash and gift cards for your opinion. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Opinion Outpost Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- Ipsos iSay: Every time you complete a survey, you'll earn points that you can redeem for cash and other great prizes. Join Ipsos iSay Now
- iSurveyWorld:Earn cash for each survey you complete. Up to $70 per survey. Payments are sent via paypal. No hidden fees and completely free! Join iSurveyWorld And Get $5 Now!
- Survey2Cash:Get access to your paid surveys, clinical trial opportunities, and part- time work offers. Payments are sent via paypal or gift cards. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Survey2Cash Now!
When working LiveOps I had horrible internet connection that would go out randomly and my provider would not be able to come to my home for several days. Thankfully LiveOps had a toll free number agents could call to release their scheduled hours.
If you work for a call center- find out what their set procedure is for instances when your telephone or internet loses connection. Most likely they have a procedure already in place. Just be sure to keep that information handy!
Use Your Phone’s Internet
Another solution that may be possible to some of you is your smartphone’s internet connection. Many of today’s new cell phones have built-in WiFi capabilities. I have heard of this service being referred to as a ‘hotspot’. Call your cell phone provider if needed to find out how to enable this feature. Then you can access internet using your cell phone’s wireless connection through your laptop or other mobile devices like a tablet.
However, this is only good for freelancers like writers who are not required to have secure, wired service. Additionally, this can quickly use up your monthly internet package you have with your cell phone provider.
- 3 Internet Jobs You Can Do in The RV
- How Many Hours Do You Work from Home?
- Internet Scammers are Smarter than You
- Top 22 Sites Where You Actually Get Paid to Do Homework
- Internet Brands- Writing for Upfront Pay
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!