- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- MySurvey: Is known as #1 paid survey site. Take paid surveys anytime and anywhere via PC, Laptop, Tablet, Cell Phone or Mobile App. Join MySurvey Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- Ipsos iSay: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels. Earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Join Ipsos iSay Now
Do you like helping others? Can you speak English? Do you have a Bachelor’s degree? Then you may love VipKid.
Want to know more?
What is VipKid?
VipKid is a company that is connecting teachers with children in China via video. They have their own platform that works similar to Skype or Facetime.
Once a class is booked, you simple access the lessons when they are ready, read over them, and then log into the class at the time booked and start teaching.
You do not have to have a degree in education. The only requirement is that you have a Bachelor’s Degree and you make it through the application process.
How Does the Application Process Work?
The first step is to send in a resume. If it looks like you could be a good fit, you will be contacted for an interview.
The interview process is a little different. Basically you will be teaching a mock class. The interviewer will act as the child, and you will teach the class as you would if it were actually a student. We all know children are unpredictable, so this could get a little awkward. Just go with it and do your best.
They will send you the lesson you are to teach before your interview, so you do not have to prepare your own. You will want to review the performance indicators here.
Notice that, among other things, they look for an upbeat personality and the use of teaching props. Things such as puppets and white boards go over well. You are responsible for determining what props, if any, you will use, and supplying them.
- Read and study the lesson they send you beforehand. They say is it painfully obvious if you do not.
- Make sure your teaching area is well lit and free from distractions.
- Read the performance indicators and use them!
- Be upbeat, even bubbly.
I Don’t Have to be a Teacher to Teach for VipKid?
This is a big deal so I wanted to be more detailed. Like I said before, you don’t have to be a teacher! There are no certified teacher requirements necessary to work as a teacher for VipKid.
The only education requirement is that you have a Bachelor’s degree.
If you have that, the application process will allow the powers that be at VipKid to determine if you are qualified to teach for them.
They really do require that degree though. It doesn’t matter what the degree is in, but in Japan it is important to the parents of the kids who may be using the service that their teachers be educated.
This is how VipKid meets that requirement.
What is the Time Commitment?
VipKid offers a flexible schedule. Once you are hired, you tell them when you are available to teach. You are in complete control of the time you list.
These will be the times shown as available for booking. Of course, you can’t control how many classes are booked during the time frame you list.
Classes are 25 minutes with an additional 5 minutes for comments, so each class is 30 minutes total.
The class prep time is not included in this, and you are responsible for that on your own. You do not have to write the lesson, it will be sent to you, but there is some time required to study the lesson and gather any props you want to use.
They suggest that you be available during peak times to have the best opportunity and build up booking faster.
Peak times are Monday-Friday from 6 to 10 pm and Saturday and Sunday 9 am to 10 pm, all Beijing time.
This translates to roughly weekday mornings and all day on the weekends in the United States, depending on your time zone. They are 12 to 14 hours behind depending on location.
The minimum is 15 classes per week, or 7.5 hours of teaching time. There is no maximum, but the more classes you take the faster you will build up bookings and earn incentive pay.
How Much Does VipKid Pay?
The base pay is between $7 and $9 per class, or $14 to $18 per hour. The rate you are paid on this scale is determined from your interview performance.
Easy Extra Cash! Join the famed Vindale Research site and earn rewards by doing nothing more than sharing your experience of using the internet. Guaranteed 100% free membership.
There is a $1 incentive per class for showing up on time and teaching according to schedule. In addition, you can earn up to $1 incentive based on the number of classes you teach per month.
This means you can make from $7 to $11 per booking or $14 to $22 per hour.
Payments are made monthly by direct deposit between the 10th and 15th of the month.
VipKid hires on a 6 months renewable contract.
What Else do You Need to Know About Working for VipKid?
- Well, they have good reviews. Some people complain that they have trouble with support, but more recently it seems like they may have stepped up their game in this area.
- You will need a headset with a microphone.
- A laptop with a video camera is also needed.
- All classes are at a one to one ratio, so it is just you and one kid, but some parents sit right there with them.
- They have started accepting some younger kids, even as young as two, which can be a little more challenging at times.
Is it a Scam?
Absolutely not. They pay their teachers, and if you do a good job, they pay well.
Just like anything else, the more you do it, and the better job you do, the more you get paid.
Nothing is perfect, but if you enjoy teaching and can get hired, this could be a great gig.
Have you worked for VipKid? I would love to know what you think.
- Skillshare – Make Money Teaching What You Know
- Review of Enroll and Tutoring Online
- 28 Best Places to Find ESL Teaching Jobs Online
- Review of ispeakuspeak AKA ISUS
- Is Photography the Perfect Work-At-Home Job for You? This Six-Figure Photographer Thinks it is
The internet’s Best Paid Surveys are here. Make up to $100 per survey completed.