- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Toluna Opinions: Earn $1-$5 each time you qualify and take surveys. Test products for free and share your opinions! Join Toluna Opinions Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- PanelPayDay: $1 to $25 to take online surveys, $30 to $100 for Participating in a Focus Group. Join PanelPayDay Now
Recently I applied to become a transcriptionist with Rev Transcription. Though I wasn’t accepted, I wanted to share what I found out about the company.
What is Rev Transcription?
Rev Transcription is another company that provides transcription work to people who work from home. It was founded by two former oDesk employees, Jason Chicola and Josh Breilinger.
What makes Rev different from other transcription companies?
Though I didn’t get to experience this firsthand, according to one article I found, Rev has tools that allow its transcriptionists to rewind audio by a set number of seconds, quickly denote each speaker’s name while transcribing, and add shortcuts for words that are typed often.
Do you need experience to work with Rev?
The website says they are looking for skilled transcribers, but there’s nothing in the application that actually asks for information on transcription experience.
What kind of projects are available?
There are different projects available – according to the website, you could “transcribe a police investigation one day and book research the next.”
Do you get to choose what you work on?
Yes, according to Rev’s website you get to “freely choose which projects you work on” – this is different from sites like TranscribeMe, where you have to transcribe whatever audio comes up.
What equipment do you need to transcribe with Rev?
According to the website, all you need is a computer and Internet connection. Though the test involved me downloading two short audios and then loading them into Express Scribe to transcribe them, I am not sure if that’s the way the actual transcriptions are done since I never got past the testing stage.
How much does Rev pay?
According to the website, their pay rates range from 40 cents to 65 cents per audio minute, the average earnings per month are $240, and the top monthly earning is $1,495.
How and how often does Rev pay?
Rev pays their transcriptions via Paypal once a week for all work completed.
Does Rev provide feedback to transcriptionists on their transcriptions?
Yes, according to the website Rev does provide feedback to their transcriptionists on a regular basis – this allows you to improve your transcription skills.
What countries does Rev hire transcriptionists in? Is it only limited to the US?
No, Rev does hire transcriptionists in other countries – there are testimonials on the website from people that live in the US, as well as the UK and the Philippines.
How do I apply?
Just go to this website, fill out the information requested, download the Style Guide and the Word Template, and transcribe the two sample audios.
How long will it take me to find out if I’ve been accepted?
There’s no way to know exactly how long it will take for Rev to get back to you – when I did my transcription test, I applied on September 16th and I didn’t hear anything until September 23. It depends on how many applications they have to review.
I hope this post has provided some information about Rev and how to apply for a job with them – good luck to those of you who do decide to apply!
- Become a Transcriptionist with Transcribe
- A Review of Transcription for Everyone (TFE): Is TFE Legitimate?
- TranscribeMe – Another Work From Home Transcription Company Great for Beginners
- Transcription Tips
- Speechpad – Online Transcription Work
VIPKID is currently looking for online teachers to teach young students in China via video-conferencing. Teachers will earn on average between $14-$22 usd per hour. This opportunity is ideal for teachers looking to supplement their income.
- One (1) school year of traditional teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada