VITAC handles 170,000 HOURS of realtime captioning and delivers more than 35,000 offline projects annually, and we track performance every day. -VITAC.comNeed Easy Extra $350+/Month For Free?
- YouGov: A leading name in online panels: Join now and earn $50 cash or vouchers for completing surveys! No hidden fees and completely free! Join YouGov Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- Ipsos iSay: Every time you complete a survey, you'll earn points that you can redeem for cash and other great prizes. Join Ipsos iSay Now
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Opinion Outpost: One of the few faithful and honest survey panels pays cash and gift cards for your opinion. No hidden fees and completely free! Join Opinion Outpost Now
Vitac works for high-profile television networks to provide accurate captioning of their programs. You know, that CC button you may have accidentally pressed on your TV remote that made a text version of the show’s script appear on your screen. VITAC provides this service and they hire home based employees!
No less than graduation speed of 200-225 wpm. The syllabic density of captioning material will be far more difficult to handle than normal judicial material. Many reporting students have called me to say, “I can’t get the speed requirements in school, so I’d like to become a captioner.” Captioning is a highly specialized end of the reporting field and demands the best of skills: speed, accuracy, and broad knowledge in all television-related areas
I want to work for VITAC. What can I do to improve my chances?Just as you must be a qualified writer and well-versed in court procedures when applying for an official court reporting position, and just as you must know the art of freelance deposition reporting before applying to a firm, so too must you know the business of captioning.
What does that mean? Above all, you must be able to write television. The initial round of the application process for a remote position is submitting first-run files from TV programs. In reviewing these files, we look for near-perfect translation, because that’s your job as a captioner: to provide near-perfect translation of TV programming.
How Flexible is The Schedule?
Home Based Real-Time Captioners have a set 15 hour a week schedule and are then able to choose their own additional hours. You are expected to work at least one weekend day a week and will often be needed during holidays.
The pay reportedly varies based on the rate of the client you are working for at the time, the time of day, how much time is invested and so forth. It seems that this maybe paid based on task but because you are an employee I believe they are required to pay you a minimum wage.
Applying as a Real-Time Captioner at VITAC includes showing off your skills by watching one of the daily evening news programs listed be
low and transcribing the entire episode.
- ABC World News Tonight
- CBS Evening News
- NBC Nightly News
You would then be required to email the document in .txt form to VITAC along with your resume. For instructions visit VITAC and view the right side of the screen.
Visit VITAC’s FAQ section to learn more details.
I have several more reviews to share through the month of April as we continue our series of “April is Showering Jobs with Benefits!” So be sure to sign up for the newsletter at the top right corner of the screen if you have not already.
If you have experience with VITAC please rate it with the 5 star rating system below:
- Types of Work at Home Transcription Jobs
- U-Haul- Great Benefits!
- Work From Home With Benefits for Sykes
- Westat- Telephone Data Collectors: With Benefits!
- Sedgwick CMS- BEST benefits I have seen! (Phone Job)
Join Ipsos iSay, one of the few Faithful and Honest survey panels and earn prizes, gift cards and donations. Stack your points and redeem them: Simple! No hidden fees and completely free!