One of the most desired work at home job types is Transcription. (Transcription is work that you receive on an audio file and have to type it (or transcribe) it into the format that the client requests.) However, most people find themselves at a dead-end search if they have little or no experience. Even an official, and expensive, certification in transcription often cannot land you that perfect work at home job as a transcriber. However, if you dig deep enough, or find yourself searching the right places you might run into information about companies like Tigerfish. Tigerfish hires people with little to no experience in transcription. Don’t think that means they hire just anyone though.
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Toluna Opinions: Earn $1-$5 each time you qualify and take surveys. Test products for free and share your opinions! Join Toluna Opinions Now
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
- PanelPayDay: $1 to $25 to take online surveys, $30 to $100 for Participating in a Focus Group. Join PanelPayDay Now
Who is Tigerfish Transcription?
Tigerfish has been providing transcription, proofreading and editing services since 1989! Tigerfish hires freelance contractors to complete transcription tasks while working from home. Tigerfish is one of a few companies that will contract transcribers with no experience. There does not seem to be anything fancy or confusing about Tigerfish. They are direct and to the point with their website. Which is something I have a great appreciation for- especially when researching work at home companies.
What is Required of Tigerfish Contractors?
While Tigerfish Transcription does not require transcription experience they do have some other requirements of their freelance contractors. Example of the qualities Tigerfish Transcription looks for:
- Good Ear for Language
- Strong Sense of Written English
- Ability to Write Well
- Accurate and Fast Typing Speed (generally at least 65 wpm…if not higher)
- Close Attention to Detail
These skills are going to be expected of nearly any transcriber, experienced or not. If you do not feel you have these qualities then it may be a good idea to look into other avenues of work from home. There seems to be a misunderstanding of transcription work in which many people seem to believe it is a simple and mindless job. The fact is, it is very difficult and does require a lot of focus, skill, speed and accuracy.
Are There Any Costs or Equipment Required to Transcribe for Tigerfish?
There are no fees or costs to become a Tigerfish Transcriber. However, there are some computer requirements and software needed. The following are necessary to apply and work for Tigerfish:
- High-Speed Internet
- Telephone where you can be reached regularly
- Windows Computer (Macs are not compatible)
- Express Scribe Software (Free download) – for test and evaluation period
- Purchase of Power Play for Windows Media- if you continue to transcribe with Tigerfish
What is The Application Process Like?
Applying for Tigerfish requires providing some sample work. After reading a guideline provided by Tigerfish, which can be found on their application page, you will then download audio files and provide 3 samples. The Express Scribe software mentioned earlier will be required for the application process. Thankfully the software is free to download. In addition to your sample work you will need to provide a brief description of yourself, your writing abilities, education and background, including any relevant experience.
All the details can be found on their employment page.
**Tigerfish probably receives many applications a month and may not be hiring at the moment.**
How Much Does Tigerfish Pay?
I have had a difficult time with this question. After hours of searching and asking around I did find one person’s claim from April of 2011 that Tigerfished paid 3-4 cents per line. Many transcription companies do not pay hourly rates but instead per line (called cpl). Your speed, work available and specific projects can heavily effect your average pay rate. However, from what I understand, an industry standard is 5-7 cents per line. This would mean, obviously, that Tigerfish pays fairly low. Which is probably why they accept entry level applicants. However, this is not a confirmed rate and any new information will be updated as soon as I uncover more details.
Even if Tigerfish’s pay is lower than the average company, they are one of a few places where you can gain true transcription experience and then move up into higher paying jobs. Transcription is one work at home career field that can certainly pay well.
How Do I Learn More and Apply?
To learn more about entry-level transcription for Tigerfish, visit their Employment page for directions to apply.
This review of Tigerfish does not necessarily mean they are currently hiring.
- Types of Work at Home Transcription Jobs
- My Guest Post: 4 Skills Needed for a Transcription Job
- Where to Find Work at Home Jobs in the Medical Field
- Work at Home Companies Where You Can Use an Apple Computer
VIPKID is currently looking for online teachers to teach young students in China via video-conferencing. Teachers will earn on average between $14-$22 usd per hour. This opportunity is ideal for teachers looking to supplement their income.
- One (1) school year of traditional teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada